Cell Phone & Electronic Devices Policy
South Bronx Preparatory Cell Phone & Electronic Devices Policy
The policy below is a result of the consultation between SBP administration, School Leadership Team and the Parent Association. Below you will see our school's cell phone and electronic devices policy:
- During the school day (from the time a student arrives in school, until the end of the school day) the cell phone and electronic device should be turned off, cannot be visible and should remain locked up in the students locker.
- While students are riding DOE buses the Electronic Device Policy is in effect just as if the student was in a classroom during the school day.
- Cell phones and electronic devices not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination.
- Computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination, except where such use has been explicitly authorized by the school or is contained in an Individualized Education Program or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and electronic devices may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and electronic devices may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms.
- Students who use cell phones, computing devices, and/or other electronic devices in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor’s regulation A-413, and /or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“IAUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set for in the Discipline Code.
- The school is NOT responsible or financially liable for any cell phone, electronic device/computing device if lost/damaged/stolen; even if the electronic item/computing device is confiscated. It is the child’s responsibility to take proper care of his/her device.
- Read below for the “ladder of infractions” and its consequences for violations of the school policy regarding cell phone and electronic items or computing devices:
Any student found to be in violation of the cell phone & electronic device policy the following protocol will be followed:
- 1st Violation: The phone will be taken, by the teacher or staff member, from the student and returned at the end of the class period.
- 2nd Violation: The phone will be taken, by the teacher or staff member, from the student (given to appropriate Administration) and returned at the end of the day.
- 3rd Violation: The phone will be taken from the student and the parent is contacted to attend a meeting with a School Advocate and to pick up the cell phone.
Safety of our students is ALL of our responsibility. Together we can increase safety and promote responsible “Digital Citizenship” among students.